Job Title: Director of Business and Workforce Development
Supervisor: President & CEO
Date: December 2021
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Business and Workforce Development, under the direction of the President & CEO, is responsible for existing business retention and expansion (BRE) efforts and for the strategic planning and programming of workforce development initiatives in coordination with various city, state, and regional partners on behalf of the LSEDC.
Works with current investor base to establish relationships in effort to maintain BRE program. Coordinates strategic planning programs for workforce development initiatives and utilizes LSEDC partners to encourage/facilitate targeted outcomes.
1. Existing Business Retention and Expansion
a. Primary responsibility for existing business retention and expansion activities, programs, initiatives, policies, and appropriate success metrics.
b. Establishes & manages a BRE program to conduct business visits with economic driver employers to collect data and identify and respond to issues as appropriate.
c. Researches, creates, organizes, and manages appropriate stakeholder collaborative responses for public policy and business-climate related issues.
d. Team lead responsible for attraction of new public and private investment, investor recruitment and retention programs, policies, and success metrics in collaboration with President & CEO.
e. Develops trusted, consulting-oriented relationships with all Lee’s Summit business leaders and their designees.
f. Generates various reports and retrieves data for prospect inquiries.
g. Keeps the President & CEO alert to written and/or oral comments, complaints, suggestions and information requests from the public, associates, guests, and business prospects.
2. Works with City, Regional and State on Programs and Policy
a. Acts as LSEDC liaison when assigned to appropriate regional and community groups/initiatives to include but not be limited to Eastern Jackson County Alliance, Downtown Lee’s Summit Mainstreet and Lee’s Summit Chamber.
b. Acts as LSEDC representative as needed for state resources to help address new and existing business issues and questions.
c. Understands and utilizes local, state, and federal tools to assist new and expanding industries.
d. Assists in the development and maintenance of an active regional network of peers and business interests complementary to LSEDC’s mission and vision.
e. Represents President & CEO as needed at events and activities where he cannot attend or as requested.
3. Workforce Development Initiatives
a. Develops and manages all workforce development programs, services and committees on behalf of the LSEDC.
b. Program coordination and facilitation for the Lee’s Summit Workforce Alliance including, but not limited to, the recruitment of co-chairs, strategic initiatives, and business and education participation.
c. Primary liaison for the Lee’s Summit R-7 School District’s Real World Learning initiatives including the DiplomaPlus Program, Career and Technical Education enhancements and other relevant workforce data. Presentations in front of the Board of Education are required.
d. Actively engages with the local business and education ecosystem to solve workforce barriers and assist in the creation of new career pathways.
4. Directs the maintenance of database collection and research including Synchronist, Location One, Xceligent, CC Assist and other project management software as appropriate.
5. Other duties as assigned by President & CEO
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
1. Four-year college degree or a combination of experience and education.
2. Five years previous experience in same position or related assignment. BRE and Workforce Development in a project management type position preferred.
3. Prior public/private sector experience is a plus.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Must be able to appropriately handle multiple tasks at the same time.
2. Project management and prioritization is essential to this position.
3. Computer experience including the following software packages: MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point). Considerable knowledge of database software such as CC Assist or ACT/Salesforce. Location One, and Synchronist a plus.
4. Ability to self manage and self motivate.
5. Essential aptitudes include; Handling confidential information, ability to work with people, initiative, judgement and strong written and verbal communication skills.
PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
1. Works with President & CEO to gain overall guidance and direction.
2. Interacts with Executive Committee, Board of Directors, City officials, committees, task forces, business prospects and investors to provide quality services and satisfy operational needs.
3. Works with various community professionals and the public to foster open communications and a positive attitude.
• Normal physical mobility: Movement from place to place on the job, considering distance and speed.
• Normal physical agility: Ability to maneuver body while in place.
• Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools.
• Normal physical strength to handle 40 lb. objects, considering frequency.
• Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
• Normal physical balance: Ability to maintain balance and physical control.
• Normal coordination, including eye/hand, hand/foot, etc.
• Normal endurance.
• Average accessibility of all work sites required for the position.
• Average exposure to weather and temperature extremes.
• Average exposure to chemicals and fumes.
• Average exposure to heights.
• Average exposure to work safety hazards.
• Average amount of overtime/extended work hours required.
• Average exposure to dust.
• Average exposure to loud noises.
• Average exposure to darkness.
• Average exposure to cramped spaces.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND GIVEN
Receives minimal or no supervision; is self-organized. May supervise support positions or volunteers, as assigned.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org