Website Missouri Department of Economic Development
SALARY: Competitive; based upon credentials
Missouri’s Department of Economic Development (DED) is hiring a Communications Director to develop and drive communications strategies and promote Missouri’s economic development efforts. This leader will partner with DED’s Director and other key partners to ensure DED’s communications activities are supporting economic development priorities and DED’s mission of helping Missourians prosper. The Communications Director will lead a small team of professionals who have expertise in writing, design, and multi-media communication.
Job Location: This position will be based out of Jefferson City or St. Louis and co-located with DED team members in state office space. Communications Director will be expected to attend weekly public information officer (PIO) meetings in Jefferson City as well as travel as needed for high-priority project announcements and other DED events.
Your Primary Focus Will Be:
- Objective 1: Promote and explain Missouri’s economic development efforts and strengthen DED’s position as an economic development leader.
- Ensure DED’s Director and key partners are positioned to successfully promote economic development in Missouri by preparing the content needed to deliver compelling speeches, presentations, and other communications.
- Support program communications through activities such as promoting application cycles and trainings.
- Serve as spokesperson for the Department; ensure DED successfully responds to media inquiries and proactively engages the media as needed.
- Ensure adequate support for special events, ribbon cuttings, and project announcements.
- Objective 2: Lead and support the Communications team and successfully partner with key stakeholders.
- Supervise, support, and ensure professional development opportunities for communications team members.
- Ensure DED’s communications projects are well-managed, resourced appropriately, and delivering on quality and timeliness expectations.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with state and local partners, internal teams and the Department’s private sector customers.
- Serve as DED’s principle representative for Missouri’s public information officer (PIO) network across executive branch agencies.
- Objective 3: Drive compelling content across channels with an emphasis on quality, frequency, and ease of access.
- Responsible for results across social media, e-mail marketing, advertising and media relations.
- Ensure communications shared with public is accurate, polished and appropriate to share.
- Ensure DED’s branding quality needs are met through proactive communication of guidelines along with specific copy and design feedback for communications collateral.
- Simplify and clarify technical details within communication products.
- Use analytics to evaluate content and adjust tactics
- Objective 4: Develop and drive DED’s communications strategies and special initiatives.
- Develop and carry out a data-driven strategic communications plan.
- Support DED initiatives and projects with proactive, strategically tailored and results-driven communications campaigns.
- Work with DED partners (internal and external) to overhaul website so that it is user-friendly while also considering the breadth of content and functionality needs
- Amplify and support the Missouri Partnership’s brand for Missouri.
A Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s preferred) from an accredited college or university in a field relevant to the work such as public policy, public affairs, business, communications, public relations, journalism, English, marketing, or advertising.
Five or more years of progressive leadership experience in roles that require strong communication strategies.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to influence and drive results within governmental and political environments
- Exceptional written and inter-personal communication skills along with an ability to deliver polished, public-ready products
- Successful leadership and partnership track recordFluent in general economic concepts and Missouri’s economic position
- Additional skills desired:
- Experience in social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop, etc.
- Experience with web content editing software and email distribution programs.
To apply, please visit mocareers.mo.gov and select the Department of Economic Development’s job openings.
To apply for this job email your details to Aaron.Hart@ded.mo.gov