Website Missouri Department of Economic Development
Director, Office of Broadband Development
Missouri is embarking on the most ambitious broadband development effort we’ve ever undertaken. To lead the way in bridging Missouri’s digital divide, we are seeking a Director for the Office of Broadband Development (OBD), located within the Department of Economic Development (DED).
Governor Mike Parson announced a plan in August 2021 to deploy more than $400 million in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to increase broadband internet access, adoption, and assistance statewide. Coupled with broadband commitments in the bi-partisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, Missouri has an opportunity to unlock the economic potential of our state and serve Missourians for generations to come. Please apply today if you think you’re the right leader for this important role! If you have questions prior to applying, please contact HRHelpdesk@ded.mo.gov.
Salary based upon credentials: Competitive; commensurate with experience
Job Location: This position will be located at the Harry S. Truman State Office Building, 301 W High Street, Jefferson City, MO.
· Objective 1: Build and execute broadband expansion strategies in partnership with stakeholders across Missouri.
o Articulate Missouri’s short- and long-term broadband development needs.
o Plan for, secure, and expend broadband funding.
o Maintain strong understanding of innovations in broadband development and technology and how Missouri may benefit.
· Objective 2: Engage and partner with Missouri’s numerous broadband stakeholders with excellence and consistency.
o Maintain and strengthen partnerships with critical stakeholder groups, including: Governor’s Office, state Senate and House members, executive branch agencies, broadband providers, and community-serving organizations.
o Develop proactive stakeholder communication strategies, including: speaking events, partner gatherings, community events, digital communications, and feedback opportunities.
o Effectively respond to informational requests from elected representatives, citizens, providers, and other broadband stakeholders.
· Objective 3: Grow and lead a high-performing Office of Broadband Development (OBD) team.
o Recruit, hire, and retain professionals for the OBD that bring forward skills in grant administration, community engagement, mapping and data, and compliance.
o Hire consultative partners as needed in areas requiring specialized short-term expertise.
o Ensure hired staff and other partners develop and meet performance objectives.
· Objective 4: Effectively deploy and market hundreds of millions in federal and state funding dollars towards best-in-class broadband infrastructure and adoption programs.
o Ensure Missouri’s broadband infrastructure grant program incentivizes broadband in unserved and underserved areas of the state
o Launch or support effective adoption and affordability programs.
o Build robust compliance efforts that ensure communities get the broadband access they deserve while also protecting tax-payer dollars.
· Objective 5: Oversee Missouri’s address-level broadband mapping and data capabilities so that broadband investments can be better targeted and reduce uncertainty.
o Ensure mapping strategies consider current and future capabilities and limitations at the state and federal levels.
o Hire staff and consultative experts to integrate existing state and federal broadband maps with more granular address-level data-sets.
o Partner with Missouri’s information technology group (OA-ITSD) to ensure Missouri has sustainable and efficient mapping efforts over the long-term.
· Objective 6: Ensure the Office of Broadband Development meets its administrative, financial, and reporting responsibilities.
o Manage the accurate and timely production of all state and federal reporting requirements related to Missouri’s broadband programs and other efforts.
o Manage OBD’s budget and future budget requests.
o Successfully complete any other needed administrative OBD requirements.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher with an emphasis in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Community or Economic Development, Economics, Information Technology, or a related field.
· Strong preference for at least 3 years of broadband deployment experience, whether that be through the public sector (e.g., program leadership) or private sector (e.g., project fulfillment).
· Strong preference for at least 3 years of program strategy development and implementation experience.
· Strong preference for at least 4 years of successful team leadership and supervisory experience in public or business administration, economic development, or a similar field.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities in addition to the Qualifications above:
· Comprehensive understanding of a) how broadband infrastructure is typically deployed in unserved and under-served areas, b) how broadband providers typically leverage government resources, and c) key challenges in closing the digital divide.
· Polished, influential communicator with capabilities in:
o Public speaking experience to a variety of elected, public sector, private sector, and community-based audiences.
o Succinct, persuasive and clear in written and oral communications.
· Ability to implement executive and legislative policies and make internal policy decisions with large-scale implications.
· Experience managing or participating in public, multi-stakeholder processes for the development, review and implementation of policies and programs is highly desirable.
· Strong project and portfolio management skillsets.
· Able to work independently with little supervision and exercise sound, independent judgement.
· Ability to travel extensively.
To apply for this job email your details to HRHelpdesk@ded.mo.gov