Missouri Department of Economic Development
Harry S Truman Building – Jefferson City, MO
Division of Business and Community Solutions – Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
(NOTE: Internal job classification is Economic Development Supervisor)
SALARY: $53,000 – $60,000 (based upon credentials)
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
TRAVEL: TBD due to COVID-19 precautions, as well as remote worker status
What You’ll Do:
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program administers over $100 million in federal funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to serve primarily non-entitlement communities in a manner that meets the CDBG Program National Objectives:
• Benefit to low- and moderate- income (LMI) persons;
• Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or blight; and
• Meet a need having a particular urgency (referred to as urgent need)
The Department of Economic Development (DED) is the designated lead agency for the Missouri Consolidated Plan and CDBG Action Plans. In this role, you will serve as the lead coordinator of planning activities across four separate State agencies administering HUD-funded programs, including CDBG.
This role is critical to ensuring that CDBG funds can effectively address pressing community development needs across the State. You will be the individual responsible for ensuring that the State of Missouri has a HUD-compliant, yet flexible planning platform that enables dollars to be expended in as data-driven and stakeholder-responsive manner as possible.
You will be responsible for building plans that include permissible activities and methods of distribution for CDBG funds, addressing needs such as public infrastructure and disaster recovery.
You can anticipate developing, at a minimum, Annual Action Plans for the State’s annual CDBG allocations (~$23M per year); Action Plans for specified disaster recovery and mitigation grants awarded to the State; any plan-related Amendments; and leading the Consolidated Planning efforts.
You will manage and direct the work of up to two (2) professional staff members.
You will be responsible for providing leadership and vision for the CDBG team’s planning and engagement, including:
• All planning and related functions of the State CDBG Program, including, but not limited to:
o Consolidated Plans
o Action Plans (General, DR, MIT, CV, other)
o Action Plan Amendments
o Implementation Plans
• Working collaboratively with internal stakeholders and teammates, including but not limited to:
o CDBG Program Manager
o Engagement Coordinator
o Designated CDBG specialists in Compliance, Disaster Recovery, annual CDBG funds, and the Financial /Grants Management team
o DED’s Regional Engagement Division, the primary points of business and community contact based in communities across the State
o DED’s Strategy and Performance Division, the lead team on economic research and performance measures.
o Consolidated Plan partner agencies
• Working collaboratively with external stakeholders and agencies, including but not limited to Regional Planning Commissions, Councils of Governments, and city and county governments.
• The ideal candidate would also be able to act as a Subject Matter Expert and lead in CDBG-DR Multifamily and Single Family Housing projects.
• Additional duties as assigned.
What We’re Looking For
• Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Planning, Public Administration, Business Administration, Community or Economic Development, Economics, Education, Statistical Analysis, or a closely related field.
• At least 3 years of Planning experience, with a strong preference towards individuals with American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
• Federal grant management experience, especially prior CDBG experience, including successful working relationships with federal funding agencies and grant recipients/subrecipients
• Successful team leadership and project management experience, including managing direct reports and training team members
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Understanding or willingness to learn in detail about applicable Federal and State regulations and policies
• Experience analyzing and interpreting data for use in planning and decision-making
• Experience in low-income multifamily housing development or financing a plus
• A proficiency and passion for operational excellence and continuous improvement. Familiarity with and experience implementing Lean/Six Sigma concepts strongly preferred. The ideal candidate would be open to further developing these skills.
Please apply through the Missouri Careers website, mocareers.mo.gov, or at the following link: https://mocareers.mo.gov/hiretrue/ce3/job-board/5effe9b2-4b89-494b-ac76-c45e25190768/7a5361e8-1a77-4ec8-abf0-dde7e0abc62a.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com