Website Missouri Economic Development Council
MEDC Executive Director
Since 1979, the Missouri Economic Development Council (MEDC) has been the authoritative voice on economic development and related issues and is the only membership association representing economic development professionals in the state of Missouri.
MEDC is a membership-based professional association which derives revenue from dues, conferences, and sponsorships. The membership base has been consistently over 400 members and primarily includes local economic developers, regional economic developers, utility providers, state officials, and other related professionals. MEDC provides services to its members, including professional development through conferences, advocacy and legislative policy work, and a Missouri Certified Economic Developer program.
MEDC is led by a volunteer Board of Directors that annually elects a Board of Directors, and a President, President-Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, and Past-President who comprise the Executive Committee.
MEDC seeks a full-time Executive Director to oversee the organization and take it to the next level. The current Executive Director served on a part-time, contract basis, and his contract expires in June 2023. MEDC’s Board of Directors has decided to pursue a full-time employee for the next Executive Director.
Previous economic development experience is not required. Instead, the preferred candidate will demonstrate a track record of successfully leading within a membership, non-profit, or similar organization. The ability to work with professional volunteer leaders, provide staff support for the organization’s activities, and generate revenue for the association are strongly desired qualifications.
MEDC’s Board of Directors is seeking a self-directed leader who will exhibit a high degree of personal ownership in the operations and accomplishments of the association.
This position is a remote-based position. Attendance at periodic in-person meetings and events at various locations across Missouri is required. The successful candidate may reside anywhere within the state of Missouri. Relocation incentives are not available.
Salary Range: $75,000-$90,000, dependent on qualifications
Benefits: Package that includes health, vision, dental insurance, paid time off, and a 401(k)-retirement plan.
Start Date: within May 2023.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
· Member Services & Communications
o Recruit new and retain existing members to the organization to drive revenue growth.
o Develop, organize, and distribute communications through a variety of channels.
· Professional Development & Events
o Assist with the MoCED certification program utilizing an existing contract vendor to provide courses and exams.
o Lead, organize, and execute several conferences and events with input from volunteers.
· Public Policy
o Support the public policy agenda of the organization by working with volunteer leadership and MEDC’s long-standing contract lobbyist.
· Business Operations
o Provide budget and financial oversight, organize Board and committee meetings and routine administrative and business activities, including website management.
o A top priority will be the implementation of an association/management software solution.
o Undertake special projects at the Board’s direction.
· Finance & Accounting
o Manage MEDC’s financial affairs in conjunction with the Board, treasurer, and third-party vendors.
o Execute strategies to ensure the continued profitability and sustainability of MEDC.
o Maintain a membership database and billing schedule, organizational finances, and bookkeeping.
· The Executive Director will report directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
· The President of the Board of Directors acts in cooperation with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
Desired Attributes & Knowledge
· Have the proven ability to guide and execute an organization’s vision and strategy
· Have strong financial and administrative background
· Be highly organized and able to work independently
· Have strong computer skills including Microsoft applications and other online platforms
· Be an extremely effective communicator and listener
· Be a passionate advocate for MEDC
· Be able to travel on occasion
· Financial P&L responsibility at the organization, firm or divisional level
· Prior experience in managing third party professional service providers
· Experience on, working with, or reporting to a Board of Directors
· Management responsibilities in a membership organization
· Prior experience directing the activities of a professional or trade association, public/private partnership, or similar organization, is preferred
· Prior experience in economic development is not required.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
· Five or more years of related experience
· Must be eligible to register as a lobbyist with the Missouri Ethics Commission
Application & Interview Process
o Open: March 1, 2023
o Application review begins: March 15, 2023
§ Applications may be accepted after this date at the discretion of the MEDC search committee.
o Interested persons should submit their credentials and contact information through firstname.lastname@example.org
o Please direct any questions regarding this posting to: email@example.com
o Initial interview timeline: Late March – Early April 2023
§ Initial interviews will be conducted virtually by MEDC’s search committee
§ If selected to advance, additional interviews will be conducted in person by MEDC’s search committee and/or the Executive committee.
The Missouri Economic Development Council provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org